Skin Management | | 24 Jan 2022
It comes as not a surprise that aging (more specifically, to age slower or even reverse it) is why many of us have a skin care routine in the first place! With the goal of slowing down the signs of aging, we first need to understand the symptoms of aging skin and then apply knowledge on how to combat them.
Sure, we all know the standard fine lines and wrinkles, which are indeed a telltale sign of aging, but there are various other signs you should know and not ignore. Let's dive into the most common and uncommon signs of aging and useful anti-aging tips for your skin.
Let's start with the obvious. Those tiny expression lines appear on your face next to your smile, it's often the time to start with anti-aging cream. In fact, most fine lines will begin appearing in our late 20s.
The first fine lines come from the constant movement of the muscles beneath the skin, and then the overlying skin becomes wrinkled without movement. Next, there will be fine lines that appear above the brow or on the corners of the eye - these are commonly referred to as crow's feet.
Topical retinoids are a mainstay of any good anti-aging skin care routine. If you're a newbie to retinoid products, try starting with the lowest active dose to minimize adverse effects until your tolerance is increased.
For many of us who have spent a large amount time outdoors, you might start to notice tiny brown spots that are similar to freckles appear on your skin as you age. Those are likely sunspots.
Sunspots can start to appear as early as your teenage years and into your 20s. This is actually the result of unprotected skin that has been damaged by the sun.
Once you enter your 40s, you'll see signs of cumulative sun damage appear in the form of fine lines, wrinkles, sunspots, blotchiness and discoloration.
We all know the unfortunate truth that our bodies' natural production of collagen and elastin decreases as we age. This simply means that the plump, taut and youthful skin has started to drop. By age 30, we lose about a tablespoon of fat off the face every year.
We also lose muscle and bone as we age, which all contributes to changes in our face. This can include things like sunken-in eyes or prominent dark circles.
There's nothing that says aging skin like cracked, parched skin. This is due to our bodies' natural oil production decreasing as our age catches up, leading to our skin becoming drier than before.
● Protect your skin from the sun everyday. Whether you're holidaying on the beach or running errands at the market, protection from the sun is essential. You can protect your skin by using everyday sunscreen that is broad-spectrum with SPF of 30 or higher.
● If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages. Not only that, smoking causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion to be much more prominent.
● Drink less alcohol. Alcohol is rough on the skin. It has a dehydrating effect on the skin, and in time, damages the skin.
● Cleanse your skin gently. Heavy scrubbing on your skin clean can seriously irritate your skin, and irritated skin accelerates skin aging. That's why gentle washing can help remove pollution, makeup, and other substances without irritating your skin.
● Apply a facial moisturizer every day. Moisturizer is great at trapping water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
We encourage you to schedule a consultation at Doux Visage today for an anti-aging treatment in Malaysia! Call us at +603 7728 6113, +6012 622 4868 or fill out our convenient online contact form at https://www.douxvisage.com/. We look forward to meeting you!
As the first leading medical skincare in Malaysia to combine the power of Chinese Medicine with the goodness of Western beauty ingredients, Dr. Jenny Goh (Ph.D)'s speciality in treating your skin is second to none! Give us a try at https://www.douxvisage.com.